Commentary from Skipp Porteous

Friday, October 21, 2005

Just say "You're welcome"

My public radio station, WNYC, is in the midst of their Fall fund-raiser. While it interrupts the programming, it's necessary, and they do it in a tasteful way. I used to listen to another NPR station in upstate New York. Their fundraisers were so obnoxious that I would make my pledge, and then turn the radio off for a week. I guess that was their tactic with the listeners.

Public radio interviews a lot of people. That's one reason I like it. One thing annoys me though. Often, a host or interviewer will say something like, "Welcome to our show." Most people say, "It's good to be here."

Why do they say that? It's because they heard someone else interviewed and that person said, "It's good to be here." That seems to be the thing to say. I think it sounds stupid.

I like it when someone simply says, "Thank you."

At the end of the interview, the host or interviewer always says "Thank you." Often, the interviewee also says "Thank you." I've noticed that if the interviewer says "Thank you very much," the interviewee will say "Thank you very much.


My parents taught me that if someone says "Thank you," then you say "You're welcome."

I also like it when they respond, "A pleasure."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home