Commentary from Skipp Porteous

Friday, September 15, 2006

Men and Machines

Saying that men and machines go hand-in-hand is like saying that all men like sports. I'm comfortable around machines of all sorts, but sports bore me.

Now, my neighbor's machines disturb me. They have motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, and power washers to clean them. We have a house in the country, and like to get away from the city for some peace and quiet.

The machines I really like are household machines. Dishwashers and vacuum cleaners are my favorites. I have two vacuum cleaners, a Miele and an Oreck. Though different, both are great. One of the features I like is that they're man-sized. I hate short vacuum cleaners that I have to hunch over to use.

I also like dishwashers. However, I never put pots and pans in them. Pots and pans are supposed to be washed by hand. Most women, I've found by experience, don't know how to load a dishwasher.

Sometimes they fill the top shelf first, maybe because it's more convenient. Then they fill the bottom shelf.

Dishwashing machine engineers spent a lot of time figuring out what should go where. They've measured plates, cups, glasses, and utensils in order to determine how best to clean them, and stack them.

Every little space in the rack was specifically designed for a specific object. Basically, cups and glasses should be put in the top rack. Dishes and bowls are placed below. This is important.

Also, some like objects, spoons especially, should be separated in the silverware container in the dishwasher. Say, you have two spoons cozying up to each other. One spoon may not get cleaned because it's too close to the other spoon. This is sometimes true with butter knives, too.

I know, this seems silly to harp on, but in my office we have a dishwasher, and I find that I have to constantly reload it. Whoever loads it (and I'm not at liberty to say), puts stuff in haphazardly.

I think the kitchen, and the home in general, is a natural place for men. What with vacuum cleaners, dish washers, microwaves, gas ovens, there are some really cool machines to have fun with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home