Commentary from Skipp Porteous

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Pastor Wright

Years ago, I belonged to a black church in Los Angeles. My pastor was the Rev. Harley Akers, brother of the well-known gospel singer Doris Akers.

There were a few white people in the church, but it was mostly black. I loved the enthusiastic singing of the gospel choir. I loved Brother "Ike" (Isiah Jones) on the organ. I loved Pastor Aker's preaching. (One time he tore the glasses from his head and threw them so high they hit the ceiling.) He was a lot like Barack Obama's Pastor Wright. Of course, I didn't always agree with him, but I loved him anyway. To a white man, I found his preaching was outrageous, but I think I knew where he was coming from.

Eventually, I left the church, Glad Tidings Tabernacle, but not because I disagreed with Pastor Akers, which I often did.

To be frank, white people just don't know the experience of black people. I'm sure many people in black churches disagree with their pastor sometimes, but that's no reason to quit the church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home