Commentary from Skipp Porteous

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Michelle Obama for First Lady

Today I read an article about Michelle Obama in the New York Times. I sure like her, and hope that she's our next First Lady. Of course, in order for that to happen, her husband, Barack, has to first win the Democratic nomination, and then the general election.

You know, I think he will. In politics, though, a lot can happen in a short time. Right now, he's walking all over Hillary, and starting on McCain too.

My girlfriend got me to go to an Obama organizing meeting in SoHo a year ago.  At the time, I knew little about Barack Obama, so I just went along for the ride.

Since that time, I've heard Obama speak twice, in person, and many times on TV. I'm truly impressed with him, and have hope.

I don't expect a president to be all things to all people. I don't expect him to be a great Commander of the Armed Forces. I don't expect him to know all about health care, the economy, or education. I do expect him to have wisdom, and to know how to pick people who can do all the things we expect out of a president.

Sure, his speeches are general, designed to build hope. There's not a lot of substance there, but that's OK. Anyone who really wants to know where he stands can go to his website, or read his book, The Audacity of Hope. The book has a great Index. When I want to know where Obama stands on something, I just look in the Index. 

Barack Obama speaks from the heart, and doesn't pretend he knows everything, or won't change his opinion on something. That's the kind of President I want.

1 Comments:

  • Thanks for writing this.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home