Commentary from Skipp Porteous

Friday, March 20, 2009

Frankly, if I may, it's unclear

Pardon me if I've written this before. There's nothing worse, after saying what I have to say here, than repeating oneself.

I've been noticing more and more on TV, talking heads repeating the same bad mistakes. It seems that they think that they must say, "Frankly," as part of what they have to say. "Frankly" is effective if it is indeed frank.

The news readers and their guests at CNN often say, "If I may." This is being used as a filler, instead of saying, "ahh." I guess it's better than saying "ahh," but it's not much of an improvement.

Finally, all news uses "unclear" whenever they don't know. The New York Times uses it frequently. CNN, Fox, MSNBC, and virtually every other newscast use "unclear." To say "it's unclear," is saying, "I don't have a clue."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home