Commentary from Skipp Porteous

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

What I've learned in life

In a few days it's my birthday again. So many, many trips around the sun!

Today I was thinking about what I've learned in life. If I could fit all I've learned in the space of this blog then I've haven't learned anything. But I'll write the few points I'm thinking about right now.

First of all, and I think it's the most important thing, is that you can't really know anyone else until you know yourself (You also have to love yourself if you want to love someone else.). To know yourself and to see the many flaws in your character. If you don't think you have flaws you're just kidding yourself.

You should also see your good points too. You and I have them. A lot of them. Many good, positive points. You have to deal with both the flaws and the good points. Reduce the flaws and increase the good.

Along with that is not judging another person. If you see yourself as you really are it's not hard to refrain from judging others. I used to judge other people (and sometimes still do), and actually crusade against certain groups with belief systems I didn't agree with.

You'll receive what you give. In fact, you'll receive more, whether it's money, understanding, kindness or love. On the other hand, if you judge others, or are bitter to everyone, you'll be judged by others, and people will be nasty to you.

I've really learned to accept freedom of religion. I've always agreed with that concept, as long it was the right religion!

As I said when I originally started this blog, this blog is just to express myself. I really don't care if anyone actually reads it. I feel better already!

1 Comments:

  • Well, hope you enjoy this next solar orbit, too.
    Any turkeys on this farm?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home